Fresh ginger is good for so many things. Fresh ginger is a staple in my kitchen. It is an extremely versatile ingredient that shows up in any course, from savory to sweet, be it main, beverage, dessert, or salad. It can even be medicine — hot ginger tea with lemon, honey and brandy will cure what ails you! In short, fresh ginger is essential to my cooking. We really love it in pumpkin pie. When buying ginger look for full, plump roots that are juicy and not dried out on the ends at all.
Fresh ginger does not taste much like ground ginger, advises the Dr. Gourmet. Ground ginger is spicier, whereas fresh ginger has a mellow, full-bodied taste. Fresh ginger, however, has more pungency and adds more texture to dishes, notes Susheela Raghavan in “The Handbook of Spices, Seasonings and Flavorings.” Also, flavor is released into a dish more slowly when you use fresh ginger. Ground ginger is more easily dispersed in a dish and can withstand higher cooking temperatures without compromising the flavor. The essential oils in fresh ginger disappear quickly at high temperatures, Raghavan notes.
5 Ways to Eat Fresh Ginger Health Benefits for Better Digestion
Fresh ginger is a staple in my kitchen. It is an extremely versatile ingredient that shows up in any course, from savory to sweet, be it main, beverage, dessert, or salad. It can even be medicine — hot ginger tea with lemon, honey and brandy will cure what ails you! In short, fresh ginger is essential to my cooking. Here are a few ways we eat ginger.
1. In hot tea – We drink literally gallons of hot ginger tea in the fall and winter. We just cut up a hunk of fresh ginger no need to peel) and pour a lot of boiling water over it. A little honey, a little lemon, and it’s the perfect winter tonic. You can add bourbon, too and call it cough syrup for grownups.
2. Soup – Fresh ginger, grated or pureed, brings wonderful zest to hot, creamy winter soups. Try this Indian-spiced carrot soup with ginger or this sweet potato soup with miso and ginger.
3. With fish – We really like spicy ginger with tender, flaky fish. Try this recipe for Ginger and Cilantro Baked Tilapia; full of flavor, and it only takes a few minutes to bake.
4. In stir-fries – Almost every stir-fry could use a little grated or even minced ginger to spice things up.
5. In sweet things – It’s baking time, and there are lots of sweet things that are great with fresh ginger. Try steeping milk with ginger for these caramels. Or try ginger hand pies or pumpkin pie with fresh ginger.
I am hoping that you liked this Post on Fresh Ginger Tea. Did you find this list useful? Share it with your friends on your favorite social media sites!